Re: Indexes being ignored after upgrade to 9.5

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: nick-brennan(at)hotmail(dot)co(dot)uk, nbrennan02(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Indexes being ignored after upgrade to 9.5
Date: 2017-07-26 21:05:50
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 25, 2017 at 10:34 PM, Nick Brennan <nbrennan02(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> We've added duplicate indexes and analyzing, however the new indexes are
> still ignored unless we force using enable_seqscan=no or reduce
> random_page_cost to 2. The query response times using the new indexes are
> still as slow when we do this. Checking pg_stat_user_indexes the number of
> tuples returned per idx_scan is far greater after the upgrade than before.
> All indexes show valid in pg_indexes.
>

> We have tried increasing effective_cache_size but no effect (the queries
> appear to go slower). The DB is 24x7 so we cannot reindex the tables/
> partitions.
>

> Can anyone suggest why this would be happening?

Are the indexes bloated? Are they larger than before, as indicated by
psql's \di+ or similar? Did you notice that this happened immediately,
or did it take a while? Are these unique indexes or not? Do you have a
workload with many UPDATEs?

I ask all these questions because I think it's possible that this is
explained by a regression in 9.5's handling of index bloat, described
here:

http://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wz=SfAKVMv1x9Jh19EJ8am8TZn9f-yECipS9HrrRqSswnA@mail.gmail.com

--
Peter Geoghegan