Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Jaime Casanova <jaime(dot)casanova(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch: Write Amplification Reduction Method (WARM)
Date: 2017-04-05 18:50:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 11:27 AM, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I propose we move this patch to the next CF.

I agree. I think it's too late to be working out fine details around
TOAST like this. This is a patch that touches the storage format in a
fairly fundamental way.

The idea of turning WARM on or off reminds me a little bit of the way
it was at one time suggested that HOT not be used against catalog
tables, a position that Tom pushed against. I'm not saying that it's
necessarily a bad idea, but we should exhaust alternatives, and have a
clear rationale for it.

--
Peter Geoghegan