Re: Create collation reporting the ICU locale display name

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Daniel Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Create collation reporting the ICU locale display name
Date: 2019-09-12 18:35:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Sep 12, 2019 at 11:30 AM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> I wonder if it's possible to display a localized version of the
> display string in the NOTICE message? Does that work, or could it? For
> example, do you see the message in French?

BTW, I already know for sure that ICU supports localized display
names. The question is whether or not this patch can take advantage of
that.

The way that we use display name in pg_import_system_collations() is
an ugly hack. It insists on only storing ASCII-safe strings in
pg_collation.

--
Peter Geoghegan