Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Show various offset arrays for heap WAL records
Date: 2023-01-11 22:53:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 10, 2023 at 11:35 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> Nontrivial, I'm afraid. We don't pass any relevant parameters to rm_desc:
> void (*rm_desc) (StringInfo buf, XLogReaderState *record);
>
> so we'd need to patch all of them. That might be worth doing at some point,
> but I don't want to tackle it right now.

Okay. Let's just get the basics in soon, then.

I would like to have a similar capability for index access methods,
but mostly just for investigating performance. Whenever we've really
needed something like this for debugging it seems to have been a
heapam thing, just because there's a lot more that can go wrong with
pruning, which is spread across many different places.

--
Peter Geoghegan