Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-01-26 19:04:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 26, 2018 at 10:33 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm busy with other things, so no rush.

Got it.

There is one question that I should probably get clarity on ahead of
the next revision, which is: Should I rip out the code that disallows
a "degenerate parallel CREATE INDEX" when
parallel_leader_participation=off, or should I instead rip out any
code that deals with parallel_leader_participation, and always have
the leader participate as a worker?

If I did the latter, then leader non-participation would live on as a
#define debug option within nbtsort.c. It definitely seems like we'd
want to preserve that at a minimum.

--
Peter Geoghegan