Re: Reducing the runtime of the core regression tests

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Reducing the runtime of the core regression tests
Date: 2019-04-12 17:49:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 12, 2019 at 10:24 AM Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I wonder if it would be useful to add --enable-debug. I think I
> purposefully removed that, but I don't remember any details about it.

As usual, this stuff is horribly under-documented. I think it's
possible that --enable-debug would help, since llvm-gcov requires it,
but that doesn't seem particularly likely.

It's definitely generally recommended that "-O0" be used, so I think
that we can agree that that was an improvement, even if it doesn't fix
the remaining problem that I noticed when I rechecked nbtutils.c.

--
Peter Geoghegan