Re: interval_ops shall stop using btequalimage (deduplication)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: interval_ops shall stop using btequalimage (deduplication)
Date: 2023-10-11 04:35:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 10, 2023 at 8:51 PM Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> I don't see any reason to delay committing your fix. The issue that
> you've highlighted is exactly the kind of issue that I anticipated
> might happen at some point. This seems straightforward.

BTW, we don't need to recommend the heapallindexed option in the
release notes. Calling bt_check_index() will reliably indicate that
corruption is present when called against existing interval_ops
indexes once your fix is in. Simply having an index whose metapage's
allequalimage field is spuriously set to true will be recognized as
corruption right away. Obviously, this will be no less true with an
existing interval_ops index that happens to be completely empty.

--
Peter Geoghegan