Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, samay sharma <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nazir Bilal Yavuz <byavuz81(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date: 2022-09-25 00:33:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 5:13 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > One more question about this, that wasn't covered by the Wiki page: is
> > there some equivalent to "make installcheck" with meson builds?
>
> Not yet. Nothing impossible, just not done yet. Partially because installcheck
> is so poorly defined (run against an already running server for pg_regress vs
> using "system" installed binaries for tap tests).

Got it. I can work around that by just having an old autoconf-based
vpath build directory. I'll need to do this when I run Valgrind.

My workaround would be annoying if I needed to run "installcheck"
anywhere near as frequently as I run "make check-world". But that
isn't the case. meson delivers a significant improvement in the metric
that really matters to me, so I can't really complain.

--
Peter Geoghegan