Re: Overhauling "Routine Vacuuming" docs, particularly its handling of freezing

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Overhauling "Routine Vacuuming" docs, particularly its handling of freezing
Date: 2023-05-02 03:20:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 1, 2023 at 8:04 PM John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
> Here's some advice on how to avoid pushback:
>
> 1. Insist that all terms can only be interpreted in the most pig-headedly literal sense possible.
> 2. Use that premise to pretend basic facts are a complete mystery.

I can't imagine why you feel it necessary to communicate with me like
this. This is just vitriol, lacking any substance.

How we use words like wraparound is actually something of great
consequence to the Postgres project. We've needlessly scared users
with the way this information has been presented up until now -- that
much is clear. To have you talk to me like this when I'm working on
such a difficult, thankless task is a real slap in the face.

> 3. Claim that others are holding you back, and then try to move the goalposts in their work.

When did I say that? When did I even suggest it?

--
Peter Geoghegan