Re: Amcheck: do rightlink verification with lock coupling

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: "Andrey M(dot) Borodin" <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Amcheck: do rightlink verification with lock coupling
Date: 2020-08-08 18:14:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Aug 6, 2020 at 10:59 PM Andrey M. Borodin <x4mmm(at)yandex-team(dot)ru> wrote:
> But having complete solution with no false positives seems much better.

Agreed. I know that you didn't pursue this for no reason -- having the
check available makes bt_check_index() a lot more valuable in
practice. It detects what is actually a classic example of subtle
B-Tree corruption (left link corruption), which appears in Modern
B-Tree techniques in its discussion of corruption detection. It's
actually the canonical example of how B-Tree corruption can be very
subtle in the real world.

I pushed a cleaned up version of this patch just now. I added some
commentary about this canonical example in header comments for the new
function.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan