Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Intermittent buildfarm failures on wrasse
Date: 2022-04-13 22:20:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Apr 13, 2022 at 3:08 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> I'm tempted to add something like
>
> SELECT relallvisible = relpages FROM pg_class WHERE relname = 'tenk1';
>
> so that we can confirm or refute the theory that relallvisible is
> the driving factor.

It would be fairly straightforward to commit a temporary debugging
patch that has the autovacuum logging stuff report directly on how
VACUUM set new_rel_allvisible in pg_class. We should probably be doing
that already, just because it's useful information that is already
close at hand.

Might be a bit trickier to make sure that wrasse reliably reported on
all relevant VACUUMs, since that would have to include manual VACUUMs
(which would really have to use VACUUM VERBOSE), as well as
autovacuums.

--
Peter Geoghegan