Re: Unimpressed with pg_attribute_always_inline

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Unimpressed with pg_attribute_always_inline
Date: 2018-01-09 01:13:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jan 8, 2018 at 5:09 PM, Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> However, at <https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/Inline.html> it says,
> "GCC does not inline any functions when not optimizing unless you
> specify the ‘always_inline’ attribute for the function". So,
> apparently, if the goal is to turn off inlining when not optimizing,
> then we should just use the normal inline attribute.

The compiler isn't obligated to inline anything with the normal inline
attribute. The whole point of always_inline is that the programmer may
know better than the compiler about inlining in some specific cases,
and may therefore want to make inlining absolutely mandatory. IIUC,
that's almost what we want, except that it also inlines with -O0,
which we do not want.

Have I missed the point here?

--
Peter Geoghegan