Re: pg12 release notes

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg12 release notes
Date: 2019-05-10 02:10:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, May 9, 2019 at 6:03 PM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> These were all very helpful. I adjusted your changes to create the
> attached applied patch. URL updated:

I noticed that the compatibility note for Andrew Gierth's RYU floating
point patch seems to simply say why the feature is useful. Shouldn't
it be listed separately, and its impact on users upgrading be listed
here instead?

Separately, please find attached suggested changes for items I was
involved in. I have attempted to explain them in a way that makes
their relevance to users clearer. Even if you don't end up using my
wording, you should still change the attribution along the same lines
as the patch.

Also, I added a compatibility note for the new version of nbtree,
which revises the "1/3 of a page" restriction downwards very slightly
(by 8 bytes). FWIW, I think it's very unlikely that anyone will be
affected, because tuples that are that wide are already compressed in
almost all cases -- it seems like it would be hard to be just at the
edge of the limit already.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Suggested-changes-to-v12-release-notes.patch application/octet-stream 3.9 KB