Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Decoupling antiwraparound autovacuum from special rules around auto cancellation
Date: 2023-01-18 21:45:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 1:08 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I suggested nearby to only have ANALYZE dead_tuples it if there's been no
> [auto]vacuum since the stats entry was created. That allows recovering from
> stats resets, be it via crashes or explicitly. What do you think?

I like that idea. It's far simpler than the kind of stuff I was
thinking about, and probably just as effective. Even if it introduces
some unforeseen problem (which seems unlikely), we can still rely on
pgstat_report_vacuum() to set things straight before too long.

Are you planning on writing a patch for this? I'd be very interested
in seeing this through. Could definitely review it.

--
Peter Geoghegan