Re: annoyance with .git-blame-ignore-revs

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: annoyance with .git-blame-ignore-revs
Date: 2022-07-11 19:39:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Jul 11, 2022 at 12:36 PM Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Only if we had to update all those copies all the time. But
> I'm guessing we wouldn't need a branch's copy to be newer than
> the last pgindent run affecting that branch?

I wouldn't care very much if the file itself was empty in the
backbranches, and remained that way -- that would at least suppress
annoying error messages on those branches (from my text editor's git
blame feature).

You might as well have the relevant commits when you backpatch, but
that's kind of not the point. At least to me. In any case I don't see
a need to maintain the file on the backbranches.

--
Peter Geoghegan