Re: Probable CF bot degradation

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Probable CF bot degradation
Date: 2022-03-21 00:41:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 20, 2022 at 4:23 PM Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2022 at 1:58 AM Matthias van de Meent
> <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Would you know how long the expected bitrot re-check period for CF
> > entries that haven't been updated is, or could the bitrot-checking
> > queue be displayed somewhere to indicate the position of a patch in
> > this queue?
>
> I see that your patches were eventually retested.

What about just seeing if the patch still applies cleanly against HEAD
much more frequently? Obviously that would be way cheaper than running
all of the tests again.

Perhaps Cirrus provides a way of taking advantage of that? (Or maybe
that happens already, in which case please enlighten me.)

BTW, I think that the usability of the CFBot website would be improved
if there was a better visual indicator of what each "green tick inside
a circle" link actually indicates -- what are we testing for each
green tick/red X shown?

I already see tooltips which show a descriptive string (for example a
tooltip that says "FreeBSD - 13: COMPLETED" which comes from
<title></title> tags), which is something. But seeing these tooltips
requires several seconds of mouseover on my browser (Chrome). I'd be
quite happy if I could see similar tooltips immediately on mouseover
(which isn't actually possible with standard generic tooltips IIUC),
or something equivalent. Any kind of visual feedback on the nature of
the thing tested by a particular CI run that the user can drill down
to (you know, a Debian logo next to the tick, that kind of thing).

> I had been meaning to stump up the USD$10/month it costs to double the
> CPU limits from the basic free Cirrus account, and I've just now done
> that and told cfbot it's allowed to test 4 branches at once and to try
> to test every branch every 24 hours. Let's see how that goes.

Extravagance!

--
Peter Geoghegan