Re: Removing more vacuumlazy.c special cases, relfrozenxid optimizations

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Removing more vacuumlazy.c special cases, relfrozenxid optimizations
Date: 2022-03-23 20:58:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 23, 2022 at 1:53 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I see what you mean about it depending on how you define "skipping".
> But I think that DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING is intended as a sort of
> emergency safeguard when you really, really don't want to leave
> anything out.

I agree.

> And therefore I favor defining it to mean that we don't
> skip any work at all.

But even today DISABLE_PAGE_SKIPPING won't do pruning when we cannot
acquire a cleanup lock on a page, unless it happens to have XIDs from
before FreezeLimit (which is probably 50 million XIDs behind
OldestXmin, the vacuum_freeze_min_age default). I don't see much
difference.

Anyway, this isn't important. I'll just drop the third patch.

--
Peter Geoghegan