Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: New strategies for freezing, advancing relfrozenxid early
Date: 2023-01-16 18:00:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Jan 15, 2023 at 9:13 PM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I have looked into the patch set, I think 0001 looks good to me about
> 0002 I have a few questions, 0003 I haven't yet looked at

Thanks for taking a look.

> I think '(nextXID - cutoffs->relfrozenxid) / freeze_table_age' should
> be the actual fraction right? What is the point of adding 0.5 to the
> divisor? If there is a logical reason, maybe we can explain in the
> comments.

It's just a way of avoiding division by zero.

> While looking into the logic of 'lazy_scan_strategy', I think the idea
> looks very good but the only thing is that
> we have kept eager freeze and eager scan completely independent.
> Don't you think that if a table is chosen for an eager scan
> then we should force the eager freezing as well?

Earlier versions of the patch kind of worked that way.
lazy_scan_strategy would actually use twice the GUC setting to
determine scanning strategy. That approach could make our "transition
from lazy to eager strategies" involve an excessive amount of
"catch-up freezing" in the VACUUM operation that advanced relfrozenxid
for the first time, which you see an example of here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Freezing/skipping_strategies_patch:_motivating_examples#Patch

Now we treat the scanning and freezing strategies as two independent
choices. Of course they're not independent in any practical sense, but
I think it's slightly simpler and more elegant that way -- it makes
the GUC vacuum_freeze_strategy_threshold strictly about freezing
strategy, while still leading to VACUUM advancing relfrozenxid in a
way that makes sense. It just happens as a second order effect. Why
add a special case?

In principle the break-even point for eager scanning strategy (i.e.
advancing relfrozenxid) is based on the added cost only under this
scheme. There is no reason for lazy_scan_strategy to care about what
happened in the past to make the eager scanning strategy look like a
good idea. Similarly, there isn't any practical reason why
lazy_scan_strategy needs to anticipate what will happen in the near
future with freezing.

--
Peter Geoghegan