Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-17 19:45:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I propose that the B-Tree index item (bottom-up index deletion, "Allow
btree index additions to remove expired index entries to prevent page
splits") link back to the documentation for those that want to drill
down:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/14/btree-implementation.html#BTREE-DELETION

The same approach was used for the Postgres 13 B-Tree deduplication
release note item (same page from the docs, even).

I understand that it's kind of hard to get the point of the feature
across within the confines of the release notes, which have a very
wide audience. I believe that the practical take-away for more
experienced users should be something like "significantly ameliorates
write-amplification problems in indexes with non-HOT updates". But
that's quite a mouthful. Having a hyperlink to the docs seems like a
sensible compromise. I really just want experienced users to be able
to make the connection between this feature and well-publicized
problems with Postgres index bloat/VACUUM.

Thanks
--
Peter Geoghegan