Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-01-11 20:06:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jan 11, 2018 at 11:51 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I think the force_parallel_mode thing is too ugly to live. I'm not
> sure that forcing low memory in workers is a thing we need to have,
> but if we do, then we'll have to invent some other way to have it.

It might make sense to have the "minimum memory per participant" value
come from a GUC, rather than be hard coded (it's currently hard-coded
to 32MB). I don't think that it's that compelling as a user-visible
option, but it might make sense as a testing option, that we might
very well decide to kill before v11 is released (we might kill it when
we come up with an acceptable interface for "just use this many
workers" in a later commit, which I think we'll definitely end up
doing anyway). By setting the minimum participant memory to 0, you can
then rely on the parallel_workers table storage param forcing the
number of worker processes that we'll request. You can accomplish the
same thing with "min_parallel_table_scan_size = 0", of course.

What do you think of that idea?

To be clear, I'm not actually arguing that we need any of this. My
point about being able to test low memory conditions from the first
commit is that insisting on it is reasonable. I don't actually feel
strongly either way, though, and am not doing any insisting myself.

--
Peter Geoghegan