Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, David Rowley <dgrowleyml(at)gmail(dot)com>, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default setting for enable_hashagg_disk (hash_mem)
Date: 2020-07-07 21:03:16
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 10:12 AM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> I think it makes no too much sense to plan invent something like
> hash_mem for v13, it's clearly too much work. That's a seperate
> discussion from having something like it for v14.

Can you explain why you believe that to be the case? It seems quite
possible that there is some subtlety that I missed in grouping sets or
something like that. I would like to know the specifics, if there are
any specifics.

> My conclusion about this topic is that I think we'll be doing our users
> a disservice by not providing an escape hatch, but that I also don't
> have the energy / time to fight for it further. This is a long thread
> already, and I sense little movement towards a conclusion.

An escape hatch seems necessary. I accept that a hard disabling of
spilling at execution time meets that standard, and that may be enough
for Postgres 13. But I am concerned that an uncomfortably large
proportion of our users will end up needing this. (Perhaps I should
say a large proportion of the subset of users that might be affected
either way. You get the idea.)

I have to wonder if this escape hatch is an escape hatch for our
users, or an escape hatch for us. There is a difference.

--
Peter Geoghegan