Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Rushabh Lathia <rushabh(dot)lathia(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Corey Huinker <corey(dot)huinker(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Parallel tuplesort (for parallel B-Tree index creation)
Date: 2018-01-23 19:11:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:50 AM, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 23, 2018 at 10:36 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I am going to repeat my previous suggest that we use a Barrier here.
>> Given the discussion subsequent to my original proposal, this can be a
>> lot simpler than what I suggested originally. Each worker does
>> BarrierAttach() before beginning to read tuples (exiting if the phase
>> returned is non-zero) and BarrierArriveAndDetach() when it's done
>> sorting. The leader does BarrierAttach() before launching workers and
>> BarrierArriveAndWait() when it's done sorting. If we don't do this,
>> we're going to have to invent some other mechanism to count the
>> participants that actually initialize successfully, but that seems
>> like it's just duplicating code.
>
> I think that this closes the door to leader non-participation as
> anything other than a developer-only debug option, which might be
> fine. If parallel_leader_participation=off (or some way of getting the
> same behavior through a #define) is to be retained, then an artificial
> wait is required as a substitute for the leader's participation as a
> worker.

This idea of an artificial wait seems pretty grotty to me. If we made
it one second, would that be okay with Valgrind builds? And when it
wasn't sufficient, wouldn't we be back to waiting forever?

Finally, it's still not clear to me why nodeGather.c's use of
parallel_leader_participation=off doesn't suffer from similar problems
[1].

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wz=cAMX5btE1s=aTz7CLwzpEPm_NsUhAMAo5t5=1i9VcwQ@mail.gmail.com
--
Peter Geoghegan