Re: new heapcheck contrib module

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Amul Sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: new heapcheck contrib module
Date: 2020-09-22 20:17:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 12:41 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> But now I see that there's no secondary permission check in the
> verify_nbtree.c code. Is that intentional? Peter, what's the
> justification for that?

As noted by comments in contrib/amcheck/sql/check_btree.sql (the
verify_nbtree.c tests), this is intentional. Note that we explicitly
test that a non-superuser role can perform verification following
GRANT EXECUTE ON FUNCTION ... .

As I mentioned earlier, this is supported (or at least it is supported
in my interpretation of things). It just isn't documented anywhere
outside the test itself.

--
Peter Geoghegan