Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 14 release notes, first draft
Date: 2021-05-10 15:08:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 10, 2021 at 7:00 AM Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> wrote:
> | Allow VACUUM VERBOSE to report page deletion counts for each scan of an index (Peter Geoghegan)
>
> I think "Allow" is wrong - should just say that VACUUM VERBOSE reports..

It's also not accurate, since the count of deleted pages was always
shown by VACUUM VERBOSE (once per index scan). The new feature has us
show pages deleted by the VACUUM that actually ran (not some earlier
VACUUM) -- these are "newly deleted pages".

I don't think that this item is worth mentioning, though -- it's just
a nice to have. If Bruce removes it from the release notes entirely I
won't object.

In addition to the items that I commented on in my response to
Matthias just now, I should point out the following item as worthy of
inclusion:

9dd963ae25 Recycle nbtree pages deleted during same VACUUM.

I suggest that this item be phrased more or less as follows:

"Allow VACUUM to eagerly place newly deleted B-Tree pages in the Free
Space Map. Previously VACUUM could only place preexisting deleted
pages in the Free Space Map for recycling."

--
Peter Geoghegan