Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Using COPY FREEZE in pgbench
Date: 2021-04-03 01:03:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:58 PM Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> I am not sure how many people use this kind of options while running
> pgbench -i but we could add yet another switch to fall back to none
> FREEZE COPY if you want.

I was unclear. What I meant was that your patch isn't just useful
because it speeds up "pgbench -i" for everybody. It's also useful
because having all of the tuples already frozen after bulk loading
seems like a good benchmarking practice, at least most of the time.

The patch changes the initial state of the database with "pgbench -i",
I think. But that's good.

--
Peter Geoghegan