Re: ON CONFLICT (and manual row locks) cause xmax of updated tuple to unnecessarily be set

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ON CONFLICT (and manual row locks) cause xmax of updated tuple to unnecessarily be set
Date: 2019-07-26 00:02:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Jul 25, 2019 at 3:10 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> wrote:
> > I agree that this is unfortunate. Are you planning on working on it?
>
> Not at the moment, no. Are you planning / hoping to take a stab at it?

The current behavior ought to be fixed, and it seems like it falls to
me to do that. OTOH, anything that's MultiXact adjacent makes my eyes
water. I don't consider myself to be particularly well qualified.

I'm sure that I could quickly find a way of making the behavior you
have pointed out match what is expected without causing any regression
tests to fail, but that's the easy part.

--
Peter Geoghegan