Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Should we make Bitmapsets a kind of Node?
Date: 2021-01-30 02:37:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jan 29, 2021 at 6:33 PM Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> wrote:
> Those 32-bit modules are still being sold actively by the RPI
> foundation, and used as cheap machines for education purposes, so I
> think that it is still useful for Postgres to have active buildfarm
> members for 32-bit architectures.

But I'm not arguing against that. I'm merely arguing that it is okay
to regress 32-bit platforms (within reason) in order to make them more
like 64-bit platforms. This makes them less prone to subtle
portability bugs that the regression tests won't catch, so even 32-bit
Postgres may well come out ahead, in a certain sense.

--
Peter Geoghegan