On How To Shorten The Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking

From: Kang Yuzhe <tiggreen87(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: On How To Shorten The Steep Learning Curve Towards PG Hacking
Date: 2017-03-27 11:56:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear PG Hacker/Experts,

I am newbie to PG Hacking.
I have been reading the PG code base to find my space in it but without
success.

There are hundreds of Hands-on with PG Application development on the web.
Alas, there is almost none in PG hacking.

I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most
frustrating experiences in my life. I believe that PG hacking should not
be a painful
Dear PG Hacker/Experts,

I am newbie to PG Hacking.
I have been reading the PG code base to find my space in it but without
success.

There are hundreds of Hands-on with PG Application development on the web.
Alas, there is almost none in PG hacking.

I have found PG source Code reading and hacking to be one the most
frustrating experiences in my life. I believe that PG hacking should not
be a painful jorney but an enjoyable one!

It is my strong believe that out of my PG hacking frustrations, there may
come insights for the PG experts on ways how to devise hands-on with PG
internals so that new comers will be great coders as quickly as possible.

I also believe that we should spend our time reading great Papers and Books
related to Data Management problems BUT not PG code base.

Here are my suggestion for the experts to devise ways to shorten the steep
learning curve towards PG Hacking.

1. Prepare Hands-on with PG internals

For example, a complete Hands-on with SELECT/INSERT SQL Standard PG
internals. The point is the experts can pick one fairly complex feature and
walk it from Parser to Executor in a hands-on manner explaining step by
step every technical detail.

2. Write a book on PG Internals.

There is one book on PG internals. Unfortunately, it's in Chinese.
Why not in English??
It is my strong believe that if there were a great book on PG Internals
with hands-on with some of the basic features of PG internals machinery, PG
hacking would be almost as easy as PG application development.

If the experts make the newbie understand the PG code base as quickly as
possible, that means more reviewers, more contributors and more users of PG
which in turn means more PG usability, more PG popularity, stronger PG
community.

This is my personal feelings and am the ready to be corrected and advised
the right way towards the PG hacking.

Regards,
Zeray

but an enjoyable journey!

Out of PG hacking frustrations, there may come insights for the PG experts
on ways how to devise hands-on with PG internals so that new comers will be
great coders as quickly as possible.

I also believe that we should spend our time reading great Papers and Books
related to Data Management problems BUT not PG code base.

Here are my suggestion for the experts to devise ways to shorten the steep
learning curve towards PG Hacking.

1. Prepare Hands-on with PG internals

For example, a complete Hands-on with SELECT/INSERT SQL Standard PG
internals. The point is the experts can pick one fairly complex feature and
walk it fromfFrom Parser to Executor in a hands-on manner explaining step