Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section

From: Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL WWW <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Adding PGInstaller to the Downloads section
Date: 2018-09-27 11:49:43
Lists: pgsql-www

On Tue, Sep 11, 2018 at 7:26 PM Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 4:46 PM Umair Shahid <umair(dot)shahid(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi Dave
>> On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 4:01 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi

>>> The first issue that I can see (or more correctly, not see), is the
>>> source code. All packages on these pages need to be 100% Open Source,
>>> including the code required to build the packages themselves (but not
>>> necessarily the tools/compilers of course). Where can the code be found?
>>>

>> I didn't realize that was a requirement. Let me work with the team
>> internally to open the source code.
>>

> The source code is available here:
> https://github.com/2ndQuadrant/postgres-installer
>

>>> Secondly, it looks like your ordering is not quite as it should be on
>>> some pages. We list native packages first, followed by non-native, then
>>> third party packaging systems, with new additions at the end of the
>>> appropriate section to limit confusion for users (particularly those who
>>> pick the first item then later try to upgrade it).
>>>
>>> E.g. on the Ubuntu page, it should be:
>>>
>>> PG APT Repo
>>> BigSQL DEB Packages
>>> EDB Installers
>>> 2ndQ Installers
>>>
>>> On the Mac page:
>>>
>>> EDB Installers
>>> BigSQL Installers
>>> Postgres.app
>>> 2ndQ Installers
>>>
>>> Similarly for other pages.
>>>

>> We can work on that.
>>

> The attached patch has the ordering as required.

As requested, we have updated the patch, renamed the installer, and opened
up the source code. Kindly consider our revised patch. I am attaching it
here again for reference.

--
Umair Shahid
Head of Marketing & Products
2ndQuadrant - The team of diligent PostgreSQL experts
https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Adding-Postgres-Installer-by-2ndQuadrant-to-download.patch application/x-patch 7.8 KB