Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files

From: Kuntal Ghosh <kuntalghosh(dot)2007(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, Amit Khandekar <amitdkhan(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera from 2ndQuadrant <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: logical decoding : exceeded maxAllocatedDescs for .spill files
Date: 2020-02-07 12:01:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Feb 4, 2020 at 2:40 PM Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I don't think we can just back-patch that part of code as it is linked
> to the way we are maintaining a cache (~8MB) for frequently allocated
> objects. See the comments around the definition of
> max_cached_tuplebufs. But probably, we can do something once we reach
> such a limit, basically, once we know that we have already allocated
> max_cached_tuplebufs number of tuples of size MaxHeapTupleSize, we
> don't need to allocate more of that size. Does this make sense?

Yeah, this makes sense. I've attached a patch that implements the
same. It solves the problem reported earlier. This solution will at
least slow down the process of going OOM even for very small sized
tuples.

--
Thanks & Regards,
Kuntal Ghosh

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Restrict-memory-allocation-in-reorderbuffer-context.patch application/octet-stream 2.5 KB