Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER

From: Jacob Champion <champion(dot)p(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrey Chudnovsky <achudnovskij(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Shlok Kyal <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, mahendrakar s <mahendrakarforpg(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, "hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi" <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, "michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com" <smilingsamay(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER
Date: 2023-11-15 20:20:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 9, 2023 at 5:43 PM Andrey Chudnovsky <achudnovskij(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Do you plan to support adding an extension hook to validate the token?
>
> It would allow a more efficient integration, then spinning a separate process.

I think an API in the style of archive modules might probably be a
good way to go, yeah.

It's probably not very high on the list of priorities, though, since
the inputs and outputs are going to "look" the same whether you're
inside or outside of the server process. The client side is going to
need the bulk of the work/testing/validation. Speaking of which -- how
is the current PQauthDataHook design doing when paired with MS AAD
(er, Entra now I guess)? I haven't had an Azure test bed available for
a while.

Thanks,
--Jacob