Running Windows binaries from non-English folder

From: Yuri Martsinovsky <captainsilver(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Running Windows binaries from non-English folder
Date: 2017-11-07 19:30:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I put PostgreSQL binary files in Windows in a folder with Russian name, for
example:
C:\Постгрес

When I run pg_ctl.exe from the Command Prompt from this current directory I
get the following error:
could not find a "pg_ctl.exe" to execute

pg_ctl.exe file is actually there and it runs, but just prints the above
error to the console.

If I run
"C:\Постгрес\pg_ctl.exe"
I get this error:
invalid binary: "C:\????????\pg_ctl.exe"

The same happens when running initdb.exe
Looks like the utility just cannot access its own file because of the
russian characters.

The OS is Windows 10
I tried running "chcp 65001" in the console window to set UTF-8 encoding
for the console.

Similar errors happen if I put the binaries in English folder, but try to
run initdb for a non-english data folder

Does PostgreSQL for Windows support directories in UTF-8 or other encoding?