Re: Multi-Master Replication

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amol Dongare <damol222(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Multi-Master Replication
Date: 2017-06-28 15:48:31
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Wed, Jun 28, 2017 at 6:18 AM, Amol Dongare <damol222(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> I'm not able to find any documentations which will guide me How to
> setup Multi-master replication for postgresql 9.5.
> Another case, I have tried Master-Slave replication But when Master
> goes down due to Hardware failure here i'm not able to find any knowledge
> base which provides me how to make Slave database writable
>
> Please provide me documentations for both scenarios

Your issues are not bugs. In the future, questions like these are probably
best put to the pgsql-general or pgsql-novice lists.

1). Multi-master is not available in normal Postgresql. You would need to
investigate something like BDR:
https://www.2ndquadrant.com/en/resources/bdr/
2). The Postgresql docs are excellent, and contain what you seek. Section
25.2.2 at https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/warm-standby.html
talks about promoting the standby to the new master.