Re: plperlu function caused a segmentation fault

From: bricklen <bricklen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plperlu function caused a segmentation fault
Date: 2011-08-24 19:54:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 12:11 PM, Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> Hrm, do simple plperlu functions break it? I can't tell from your
> report if plperlu seems completely broken or if something in your
> quoted function seems to be the culprit.
>
> If
> CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION plperlu_noop() returns void as $$ $$
> language plperlu;
> select plperlu_noop();
>
> works fine, I would wager someone upgraded perl and forgot to
> recompile (or upgrade?) postgres along with it.  That or you have more
> than one perl installed and its somehow picking the wrong libperl...

IIRC, plperl(u) was installed via yum at the same time the db was
upgraded to 9.0.x. It is possible there is more than one Perl version
installed, or that the original Perl installation was botched.
I'm not willing to test even the simple example above, because it's a
production database. The orignal (failing) plperlu function didn't
even get as far as the execution phase, that segfault happened
immediately after it compiled.

Cheers