Re: Full (special) logs for specified users/hosts/etc

From: Victor Yegorov <vyegorov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Full (special) logs for specified users/hosts/etc
Date: 2013-05-17 10:45:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2013/5/17 Nikolay Samokhvalov <samokhvalov(at)gmail(dot)com>

> Consider a Postgres cluster containing several DBs (for example several
> projects/sites). If one wants to optimize queries on one specified site --
> what should he do? His obvious need is to switch full logging for the exact
> database on, collect the logs and analyze them using pgFouine/pgBadger.
>
> But currently, there is no way to specify log settings for one database /
> one user / one host. There are only *global* settings in postgres.conf.
>
> We experienced this problem in various project several times already.
> Usually it is solved with initdb-ing separate cluster, what is annoying
> and difficult if you have replication installed and working.
>
> How difficult is to implement *local* logging settings per
> database/user/host? Is it worth to work on for future versions?

Not exactly suitable for pgBadger, but one could setup “csvlog” format,
load logs into the dedicated table and analyse with SQL statements:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/interactive/runtime-config-logging.html#RUNTIME-CONFIG-LOGGING-CSVLOG

I'm using this approach for quite some time.

--
Victor Y. Yegorov