Optimizing PostgreSQL with LLVM's PGO+LTO

From: João Paulo Labegalini de Carvalho <jaopaulolc(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Optimizing PostgreSQL with LLVM's PGO+LTO
Date: 2023-01-27 17:05:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi all,

I am investigating the benefits of different profile-guided optimizations
(PGO) and link-time optimizations (LTO) versus binary optimizers (e.g.
BOLT) for applications such as PostgreSQL.

I am facing issues when applying LTO to PostgreSQL as the produced binary
seems broken (the server dies quickly after it has started). This is
definitely a compiler bug, but I was wondering if anyone here have
experimented with LTO for PostgreSQL.

Thanks,

--
João Paulo L. de Carvalho
Ph.D Computer Science | IC-UNICAMP | Campinas , SP - Brazil