Drop or disable or bypass "_return" rule on select on a view.

From: Shashwat Arghode <shashwatarghode(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Drop or disable or bypass "_return" rule on select on a view.
Date: 2015-05-28 06:23:45
Lists: pgsql-novice pgsql-sql

Hi all,
I am using postgres 9.3.4 and have an on_select rule "_return" on a view.
I want to drop or disable or bypass that rule.
Is there any way it can be done without dropping the view??

Because when i try to drop it, it returns

ERROR: cannot drop rule _RETURN on view viewname because view viewname
requires it
HINT: You can drop viewname instead.
CONTEXT: SQL statement "drop rule "_RETURN" on viewname"
PL/pgSQL function inline_code_block line 12 at EXECUTE statement

and i don't want to drop the view.

when i try to disable it using :
alter table viewname disable rule _return
it returns
ERROR: "viewname" is not a table

Bypassing rule for a single query or disabling it for some time and then
enable it will also work for me.

Can it be done ?

Thanks,
Shashwat.