Strange behavior with polygon and NaN

From: Jesse Zhang <sbjesse(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Strange behavior with polygon and NaN
Date: 2020-06-24 22:11:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi hackers,

While working with Chris Hajas on merging Postgres 12 with Greenplum
Database we stumbled upon the following strange behavior in the geometry
type polygon:

------ >8 --------

CREATE TEMP TABLE foo (p point);
CREATE INDEX ON foo USING gist(p);

INSERT INTO foo VALUES ('0,0'), ('1,1'), ('NaN,NaN');

SELECT $q$
SELECT * FROM foo WHERE p <@ polygon '(0,0), (0, 100), (100, 100), (100, 0)'
$q$ AS qry \gset

BEGIN;
SAVEPOINT yolo;
SET LOCAL enable_seqscan TO off;
:qry;

ROLLBACK TO SAVEPOINT yolo;
SET LOCAL enable_indexscan TO off;
SET LOCAL enable_bitmapscan TO off;
:qry;

------ 8< --------

If you run the above repro SQL in HEAD (and 12, and likely all older
versions), you get the following output:

CREATE TABLE
CREATE INDEX
INSERT 0 3
BEGIN
SAVEPOINT
SET
-------
(0,0)
(1,1)
(2 rows)

ROLLBACK
SET
SET
-----------
(0,0)
(1,1)
(NaN,NaN)
(3 rows)

At first glance, you'd think this is the gist AM's bad, but on a second
thought, something else is strange here. The following query returns
true:

SELECT point '(NaN, NaN)' <@ polygon '(0,0), (0, 100), (100, 100), (100, 0)'

The above behavior of the "contained in" operator is surprising, and
it's probably not what the GiST AM is expecting. I took a look at
point_inside() in geo_ops.c, and it doesn't seem well equipped to handle
NaN. Similary ill-equipped is dist_ppoly_internal() which underlies the
distnace operator for polygon. It gives the following interesting
output:

SELECT *, c <-> polygon '(0,0),(0,100),(100,100),(100,0)' as distance
FROM (
SELECT circle(point(100 * i, 'NaN'), 50) AS c
FROM generate_series(-2, 4) i
) t(c)
ORDER BY 2;

c | distance
-----------------+----------
<(-200,NaN),50> | 0
<(-100,NaN),50> | 0
<(0,NaN),50> | 0
<(100,NaN),50> | 0
<(200,NaN),50> | NaN
<(300,NaN),50> | NaN
<(400,NaN),50> | NaN
(7 rows)

Should they all be NaN? Am I alone in thinking the index is right but
the operators are wrong? Or should we call the indexes wrong here?

Cheers,
Jesse and Chris