Denormalizing via SQL

From: Robert James <srobertjames(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Denormalizing via SQL
Date: 2011-12-12 00:40:54
Lists: pgsql-general

I have a query returning:

name | product_id
Bob | 1
Bob | 2
Charles | 1
Charles | 4

To make it compatible with a legacy app, I need to convert it to this form:
name | product_ids
Bob | "1,2"
Charles | "1,4"

(Before you jump "That's not normal!" - I know. I didn't write the
app. I just need to meet its interface.)

What's the best way to do this in Postgres? Is there a way to do it
via pure SQL?