Exporting sql scripts in pgAdmin

From: Lukasz Brodziak <lukasz(dot)brodziak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Exporting sql scripts in pgAdmin
Date: 2013-01-24 10:45:57
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi,

Following Dave Page's advice I'd like raise an idea for a feature that
would allow users to export table rows as INSERT statements. The idea
behind this feature is that we are not always able to use COPY TO/COPY FROM
to move data between databases and generating and insert statement based on
SELECT result is the answer. It could be an option in 'Execute to file'
menu option something like "Export as INSERT script" that after checking
would add INSERT INTO <table from select> (columns which we already export)
VALUES(values we already export). As a future feature thare can be an
option added to input the specific table name if the destination db has the
same table defined under different name.
The feature is implemented in EMS SQL Manager for PostgreSQL but buying it
just for this option is madness. Besides it's better to put new features
into our favourite program than to support the competition :)

--
Łukasz Brodziak