Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values
Date: 2018-03-15 02:21:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 12:05 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 1:36 AM, Pavan Deolasee
> <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 9:18 PM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 2:27 AM, Pavan Deolasee

>>> Yeah, pretty much that's the idea. Beware, if the new item doesn't
>>> fall in the rightmost place, you still need to check for serialization
>>> conflicts.
>>

>> So I've been toying with this idea since yesterday and I am quite puzzled
>> with the results. See the attached patch which compares the insertion key
>> with the last key inserted by this backend, if the cached block is still the
>> rightmost block in the tree. I initially only compared with the first key in
>> the page, but I tried this version because of the strange performance
>> regression which I still have no answers.
>>
>> For a small number of clients, the patched version does better. But as the
>> number of clients go up, the patched version significantly underperforms
>> master. I roughly counted the number of times the fastpath is taken and I
>> noticed that almost 98% inserts take the fastpath. I first thought that the
>> "firstkey" location in the page might be becoming a hot-spot for concurrent
>> processes and hence changed that to track the per-backend last offset and
>> compare against that the next time. But that did not help much.
>
> + _bt_compare(rel, natts, itup_scankey, page,
> + RelationGetLastOffset(rel)) >= 0)
>
> Won't this access garbage if the last offset is stale and beyond the
> current rightmost page's last offset?
>
> I'd suggest simply using P_FIRSTDATAKEY after checking that the page
> isn't empty (see _bt_binsrch).

>>> That's not what is happening though.
>>>
>>> The cache path is 1) try to lock cached block, 2) when got lock check
>>> relevance, if stale 3) recheck from top
>>>
>>> The non-cached path is just 3) recheck from top
>>>
>>> The overall path length is longer in the cached case but provides
>>> benefit if we can skip step 3 in high % of cases. The non-cached path
>>> is more flexible because it locates the correct RHS block, even if it
>>> changes dynamically between starting the recheck from top.
>>>

>> So as I noted in one of the previous emails, the revised patch still takes
>> fast path in 98% cases. So it's not clear why the taking steps 1, 2 and 3 in
>> just 2% cases should cause such dramatic slowdown.
>
> Real-world workloads will probably take the slow path more often, so
> it's probably worth keeping the failure path as contention-free as
> possible.
>
> Besides, even though it may be just 2% the times it lands there, it
> could still block for a considerable amount of time for no benefit.
>
> So I guess a conditional lock is not a bad idea.

Re all of the above, I did some tests.

I couldn't reproduce the regression you showed so clearly, in fact at
all, but I was able to get consistently lock-bound with 8 clients by
setting fsync=off.

Something noteworthy, is that both master and patched are lock-bound.
It just must be that when that happens, the extra check for the
rightmost page really hurts.

So, I tried the conditional locks, and indeed it (at least in my
meager hardware) turns the lock-bound test into an I/O bound one.

I applied the attached patches on top of your patch, so it would be
nice to see if you can give it a try in your test hardware to see
whether it helps.

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Ignore-last-offset.patch text/x-patch 895 bytes
0002-Conditional-locks.patch text/x-patch 3.3 KB