Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values

From: Pavan Deolasee <pavan(dot)deolasee(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(dot)riggs(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Faster inserts with mostly-monotonically increasing values
Date: 2018-03-19 14:57:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 7:51 AM, Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> I applied the attached patches on top of your patch, so it would be
> nice to see if you can give it a try in your test hardware to see
> whether it helps.

I can confirm that I no longer see any regression at 8 or even 16 clients.
In fact, the patched version consistent do better than master even at
higher number of clients.

The only thing I am a bit puzzled is that I am no longer able to reproduce
the 40-50% gains that I'd earlier observed with a single client. I now get
20-25% with smaller number of client and 10-15% with larger number of
clients. I haven't been able to establish why it's happening, but since
it's a different AWS instance (though of the same type), I am inclined to
blame it on that for now.

Thanks,
Pavan

--