Re: Inserts or Updates

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Inserts or Updates
Date: 2012-02-07 17:57:37
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 2:43 PM, Ofer Israeli <oferi(at)checkpoint(dot)com> wrote:
> You mean running a VACUUM statement manually?  I would basically try to avoid such a situation as the way I see it, the database should be configured in such a manner that it will be able to handle the load at any given moment and so I wouldn't want to manually intervene here.  If you think differently, I'll be happy to stand corrected.

I do think differently.

Autovacuum isn't perfect, and you shouldn't make it too aggressive
since it does generate a lot of I/O activity. If you can pick a time
where it will be able to run without interfering too much, running
vacuum "manually" (where manually could easily be a cron task, ie,
automatically but coming from outside the database software itself),
you'll be able to dial down autovacuum and have more predictable load
overall.