Re: problems with set_config, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, and sorting

From: Claudio Freire <klaussfreire(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Jon Nelson <jnelson+pgsql(at)jamponi(dot)net>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problems with set_config, work_mem, maintenance_work_mem, and sorting
Date: 2012-02-28 22:46:52
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 6:54 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

>> ... which is the ORM library (SQLAlchemy) doing a reflection of the
>> table(s) involved.
>
> Oh, there's an ORM involved?  I'll bet a nickel it's doing something
> surprising, like not issuing your SET until much later than you thought.

I'd rather go for an auto-rollback at some point within the
transaction that issued the set work_mem. SQLA tends to do that if,
for instance, an exception is risen within a transaction block (ie,
flushing).

You can issue the set work_mem in its own transaction, and commit it,
and in that way avoid that rollback.