Re: Allow ALTER SYSTEM SET on unrecognized custom GUCs

From: shihao zhong <zhong950419(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrei Lepikhov <a(dot)lepikhov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>, gavinpanella(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Allow ALTER SYSTEM SET on unrecognized custom GUCs
Date: 2023-10-19 13:58:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I do like the idea that we should keep the set and the altar system with
the same behavior. But one thing I am worried about is the typo detected
here because I usually make that type of mistake myself. I believe we
should have an extra log to explicitly tell the user this is a `custom
variable` guc.

Btw, another aspect I want to better understand is if the superuser session
called pg_reload_conf with custom variables, does that mean these custom
variables will override the other active transaction's SET command?

Thanks,
Shihao