Re: Improving LWLock wait events

From: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving LWLock wait events
Date: 2020-12-23 07:56:32
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 23 Dec 2020 at 15:51, Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> I've struggled with this quite a bit myself.

By the way, I sent in a patch to enhance the static tracepoints available
for LWLocks. See
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAGRY4nxJo+-HCC2i5H93ttSZ4gZO-FSddCwvkb-qAfQ1zdXd1w@mail.gmail.com
.

It'd benefit significantly from the sort of changes you mentioned in #4.
For most purposes I've been able to just use the raw LWLock* but having a
nice neat (tranche,index) value would be ideal.

The trace patch has helped me identify some excessively long LWLock waits
in tools I work on. I'll share another of the systemtap scripts I used with
it soon.