Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf

From: Craig Ringer <craig(dot)ringer(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add docs stub for recovery.conf
Date: 2020-11-12 02:25:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 4:01 AM Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 08:59:40PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:

> the docs for
> confusing
> how to
> > >
> > > I don't see the logic in carrying doc stuff that we don't have anymore.
> >
> > Well, we do have that already in <tip>'s sprinkled across the docs where
> it
> > makes sense to help transitioning users, like this one in func.sgml:
> >
> > "Prior to PostgreSQL 12, it was possible to skip arbitrary text in
> the
> > input string using non-letter or non-digit characters..."
> >
> > It doesn't seem like a terrible idea to do a similar one for
> recovery.conf.
>
> I am fine with a tip. The patch looked like it was creating a new
> chapter for it.

It is. Or rather, an appendix right at the end to hold info on things we
removed or renamed and where to find them now.

You can't AFAICS make docbook create a toplevel linkable file for a <tip> .
A <tip> won't un-break
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/recovery-config.html or make help
people who visit https://www.postgresql.org/docs/11/recovery-config.html
figure out what's going on if they're using pg12 and there's no link to
version 12 in the nav section. A <tip> won't add index entries for renamed
settings, so someone looking up "standby_mode" can find out that we've
switched to a file called "standby.signal" instead.

Pretend you're a user who has upgraded from pg 11. You're looking at the Pg
12 docs. How long does it take you to find out how to make a server into a
standby now? It took me longer than I would've expected...