Re: Add RESPECT/IGNORE NULLS and FROM FIRST/LAST options

From: Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, vik(at)postgresfriends(dot)org, andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Krasiyan Andreev <krasiyan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Add RESPECT/IGNORE NULLS and FROM FIRST/LAST options
Date: 2023-05-06 08:41:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, 6 May 2023, 04:57 Tatsuo Ishii, <ishii(at)sraoss(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:

> Attached is the patch to implement this (on top of your patch).
>
> test=# SELECT row_number() RESPECT NULLS OVER () FROM (SELECT 1) AS s;
> ERROR: window function row_number cannot have RESPECT NULLS or IGNORE
> NULLS

The last time this was discussed (
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/1037735.1610402426%40sss.pgh.pa.us)
it was suggested to make the feature generalizable, beyond what the
standard says it should be limited to.

With it generalizable, there would need to be extra checks for custom
functions, such as if they allow multiple column arguments (which I'll add
in v2 of the patch if the design's accepted).

So I think we need a consensus on whether to stick to limiting it to
several specific functions, or making it generalized yet agreeing the rules
to limit it (such as no agg functions, and no functions with multiple
column arguments).