Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

From: Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Everaldo Canuto <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Date: 2017-12-08 16:47:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 3:10 PM, David G. Johnston
<david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:34 AM, Oliver Ford <ojford(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:47 PM, Everaldo Canuto
>> <everaldo(dot)canuto(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>>
>> +1 from me. When I first used Postgres I struggled with how to quit
>> psql. I felt that making people look up how to quit the program is bad
>> UI design. I admired Postgres as a database, but had the impression
>> that it was harder to use than MySQL.
>

>> Not being able to quit or
>> describe a table in the way I was used to was frustrating.
>

> Whomever comes second is almost always going to have that problem.

And for most people, Postgres is their second or third database.

>> who want a db that is intuitive.
>

> Intuitive and "works like xyz" are not the same thing ...

Most people will have worked with Bash, Powershell, MySQL, etc and for
them intuitive means typing exit or quit. It would be strange to them
that psql behaves differently than what they're used to. My guess
would be that this quitting difficulty put more people off Postgres
than anything to do with the backend. First impressions count when
retaining users.