Slow connections on Win 7

From: John Kasarda <jbk(at)ValidAndRobust(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Slow connections on Win 7
Date: 2012-12-31 02:03:06
Lists: pgsql-performance

I have been running Postgresql 9.2 under VMWare/WinXP-32bit, and it works
really well.

I finally decided to move to my host - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - and installed
the 64bit version with same config as the 32bit. When I tried to run it,
it was extremely slow connecting to a 4 table database I use as a test when
starting a server. In pgAdminIII, any attempt to open the W7 hosted
database takes 15-20 seconds. Ditto to open a table.

I created a connection to the server in the VMWare/XP system, and
performance was close to immediate.

I then removed the 64bit version, and installed the 32bit version on W7.

Same results.

So this looks like I've got something messed up on W7.

Any ideas?

TIA.

--
John Kasarda, CFPIM, Jonah